Wartime hospital


The Chapel of St. Mary and St. George at Guildford Grammar School framed by the autumnal display of old English plane trees planted along the avenue leading up to and beside the school.

The stone used in the building is sandstone from Donnybrook in Western Australia's south.  Marble from Italy and Belgium make up the floor, and hand-carved English oak worked by English craftsmen adorns the interior.

The chapel was consecrated on 25th of March, 1914.

A large faint cross can be seen on each slope of the roof of the chapel, remnants of the time in WWII that the US Navy commandeered the chapel for use as a hospital.

Popular posts from this blog

Beware the cats of Guildford

The 10th Light Horse lives on